Saturday 10 December 2011

Monkeys & Dragons

Holy cow! Toki is being remade! It's coming out on Steam soon, and XBLA / PSN later to boot.

Ahh Toki, who can ever forget that classic game about the monkey trying to save his girlfriend. Uh, or whatever the game was about. Who cares. All I remember is that it was excruciatingly hard even with infinite lives on Amiga, and it was addictive as hell! God... The crystal mammoth boss. The final level with the train tracks. Jump a split second late and you have to start from the beginning. Argh!

Good old times where games weren't designed in a way that guarantees you will win.


In other news, my Skyrim character has now mastered every skill in the game. Capped out at level 81.5. It's still surprisingly a lot of fun to mess about in this godlike state. I normally sprint around with a sword & dagger, just 2-shotting everything in melee. Sometimes I switch to my bow and challenge myself, trying to sneak around oneshotting everyone without being detected throughout the entire dungeon. And sometimes I switch to my magic armor (enchanted to make destruction magic cost 0 mana). And electrocute stuff. But that's pretty lackluster now.

Yeah, destruction magic is pretty useless. I got the damage increasing perks, I drink the damage increasing potion, and I dualcast thunderbolts, and it's still doing a fraction of the damage my bow would do without potions. Not even comparing it to melee damage. Magic was useful on dragons at one point as they're hard to hit with bows when flying around...

But at this point I see a dragon, sneak up to it, the first arrow backstabs it down to 45%, then 2 more arrows and it's dead before it can even land. Actually there was this one time I snuck up to a dragon from the mountains above it, jumped on its back in sneak mode, and backtabbed it to death with a single blow with my sword! That was pretty ridiculous! It actually "awakened" with a 0% health bar, flew up in the air, turned around, started flying towards me, then suddenly realized it's dead and started falling down and crashed downwards towards the base of the mountain. Couldn't even reach the perch I was on. Pfft. Not like I was going to bother looting it anyway.

Then I loaded the game and did some experiments, and figured out that I actually did over twice its life in damage with a single hit. 12x backstabs for the win! 8)

Daggers do 30x backstabs but they don't benefit from onehanded damage buffs, so they end up quite a bit behind swords lategame. But yeah, I tried it and the dagger was enough to oneshot it too.

Well that was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment