Saturday 26 November 2011

Thumbs up Bethesda!

I must say I did not have high expectations for Skyrim. But I figured I should give it a try anyway, and boy do I regret making that decision... I am hooked!

After the utter garbage that is Oblivion I figured the Skyrim apple wouldn't fall far from the tree. Oh yeah, sure, lots of people actually loved Oblivion... Well the broken leveling system was a major source of frustration for me, and the artstyle was a big step backward from Morrowind. All in all I can't really think of anything positive to say about Oblivion.

But Skyrim is a different story! Now I don't generally judge games by graphics, but Skyrim's environments just look amazing! And I'm not talking about the cell shading, number of vertices, or whatever other tech jargon people use to compare graphics nowadays...

The environments look very colorful, stylish. I enter a cave and see a river, water splashing on the rocks. I *want* to see where it goes. The armor art for each material is all distinguishable and awe inspiring. Every city seems to have its own unique architecture. It's a very likable fantasy rpg setting overall. Unlike the blood & gore, doom & gloom alternatives that have come out earlier this year *cough*.

Anyway, enough about graphics. The new skill system works very well too. Many of the perks are interesting and fun. Like slipping poison into someone's pocket, or investing in a shop to make them buy stolen goods. You actually look forward to leveling up, getting a new perk. As opposed to the joke of a leveling system Oblivion had, where you were just doing everything in your power to *not* level up as there was zero benefit attached to it, and it just meant everything else became stronger.

Well, I would get into my character's adventures, but this post is becoming rather long, so I should probably cut off here. In my next post I will be writing about the adventures of Rukh, the Khajiit burglar.

No comments:

Post a Comment