Monday 20 February 2012

RPG's of today...

Played a bit of Kingdoms of Amalur recently. Meh... The combat system looks good on paper, but all you end up doing is spamming autoattack. At least the skill trees are mediocre. Probably the only recent RPG out there that actually gives you a bit of a choice, lets you plan things out a bit.

Diablo 3 will be coming out soon. I am not at all excited. Funny, a few years ago, me and a few friends had it planned out. We'd all quit work for a year and devote our entire lives to it (kinda like how we played Diablo 2 back in college :P). But by now, after seeing that they removed the stat system, skill system, well, everything, and they replaced it with an extremely dumbed-down primate-friendly system, I have very little faith left. Sure, I'll play it for a month or two. Then it'll get shelved and forgotten.

World of Warcraft's newest expansion is also set to completely remove the talent trees and replace it with something that looks more like an april's fools joke than a new talent system. As if that game needs any more dumbing down.

Meanwhile, wizards of the coast have announced that they're working on 5th edition now (I know I know, old news). I am under the impression that they're scrapping the horrible 4th edition era, and going back to the 3rd ed roots. At least partially. Perhaps there's still hope for future RPG's yet.

Oh well, I'll end this post with an image that pretty much sums up everything I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment